Originally Britannia Road was “Main Street” from just NW of Howe St to Cassels, and is probably the oldest road in Britannia as it connected the river and lumber mills with the railroad. For a time it would have been the only road, and when a name was needed it took the name that every main street seems to get, viz “Main Street.”
The section between Howe and Carling Ave was christened “Louis Ave” by Louis Poulin in his 1904 development plan for Loma Park, but this section existed before that. While the most traffic from the Village would have been to the railway, and hence the city or points west, there was also a need to get up to the Richmond Rd, and later March Road.
First there was the blacksmith at the Old Forge, as important a resource as you could get in the day. Later the Methodist Church, Mosgrove School, and Post Office were all on Britannia Heights, never mind the Mosgrove Vinyards. Then there was neighbouring farms and communities which people would travel to from time to time, such as Richmond and South March.
There was a road connecting the Village to the Richmond Rd, but what it was called prior to 1904 I have not been able to determine. It may well have been “Britannia Road” since it was the road that led to Britannia, but then it could equally have been something like ‘the Forge Road’ since it led to the forge, or simply referred to as Main St since it was an extension of Main St.
Regardless, the full length from Cassels to Richmond Rd was renamed as Britannia Rd when Britannia became part of the City of Ottawa in 1950; see A street by any other name.
For the south section between Carling and Howe John LeBreton Ross had proposed the name “Britannia Street” in 1879, but this was never implemented. The decision to name the full length “Britannia Road” may have been based on the 1873 sub-divison plan by J. McAmmond who proposed renaming the then “Main St” as “Britannia Rd.”1
Not to be confused with the “Britannia Road” in Gatineau, Quebec (later “Turnpike Road”, now Hwy 148) which connected Philomen Wright’s Chaudière Farm to what is now Hull. Britannia Street or Rue de Britannia in Gatineau is almost certainly a remnant of this historic road.
48 Britannia Rd
105 Britannia Rd
Arbour House Studios Ottawa
127 Britannia Rd
142 Britannia Rd
Ryan / Clarke family
181 Britannia Rd
212 Britannia Rd
1976 – 1979 private residence, destroyed by fire 1979.
1915 – 1976 Roy’s Confectionery / Tea Room / Tobacco Store
Original building was built in 1909.
230 Britannia Rd
244 Britannia Rd
???? – Current: Brebner’s Manufacturing
1980 Bikeway Rentals; Bicycle rental
???? Britannia Food & Deli
196? – 1976 Smiley Bros Confectionery
1891 – 196? Britannia General Store
3 – 244 Britannia Rd
???? – Current: Artist By Design Studio
245 Britannia Rd
246 Britannia Rd
???? – Current: Posh Puppies Spa
???? Barks & Bubbles Grooming Salon
???? Reflections Floral & Hm Decor
273 Britannia Rd
273/275 Built late 1967
2016 – present The Beachconers
???? – 2016 Flashbacks (Antiques & second hand)
~ 2007 – 2009? ArtFuse
1971 – Jun 1972?: Delta TV
1968 – 1969 – Mimi’s Eskimo Gift Shop Canadian Arts and Crafts
275 Britannia Rd
2016 – present Kite Life
~ 2009 Village Pizza: Eclectic pies and Calzones
~ 2007 Brites Pizza & Catering (aka Britz)
1983? Nibi’s Pizza
1978 Pizza Take Out and Delivery
1976 Bente Beauty
Tony The Greek
Greek Dixie & Noah Pizza Ltd
Barks & Bubbles Grooming Salon
275B Britannia Rd
2012 – present Recyclore: Bicycle Recycling
288 Britannia Rd
1975 Explosion and fire
293 Britannia Rd
295 Britannia Rd
1 Ottawa’s Britannia by Taylor, Eva and James Kennedy